Friday, February 21, 2014

Drama at the club

I'm emotionally exhausted by my $8 an hour job at the health club. Yesterday, two employees were in tears. One got fired, the other just cried for hours. Lucky for me, my co-worker is in the know and can fill me in on all the gossip when we get a free second to chat. She knows everything that's going on. I'm not sure how, but I don't argue.
Then, my favorite member, I'll call him FM, approached me at the front desk with some scoop. As I was busy cooking a burrito for a club employee who wanted to make sure it was perfectly browned on top, I told FM to come back after my shift and share his story with me.
Turns out, he was not gossiping, he was really upset by the behavior of another member whom I will call Scott because that's his name and he doesn't need his identity shielded. He's an asshole.
Scott and FM came into the club at the same time, and Scott, as he always does, spread out his stuff all along the front desk leaving no room for anyone else and began chatting with the very attractive 24-year old front desk staff member. She turned her attention to FM, whom everyone loves, and started chatting with him. At this, Scott got very huffy and stormed off stating, "I guess I'll come back to talk to you since you seem to be more interested in what he has to say!"
FM is pissed. Really pissed. He thinks the behavior was uncomfortable, made our front desk staff member feel bad and was "predatory" as he put it, putting her in the very uncomfortable position of having to please Scott.
We have four members who come in every day and spend most of their time at the club making the front desk feel uncomfortable. Scott is one of them.
Now, FM, has consulted me on what to do about this. I suggested he talk to management because employee harassment by members doesn't seem to be very important to management and I told him it would mean much more coming from him.
We will be following up with our conversation next time I see him.
Did I mention that I only make $8 an hour?

No comments: