Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Customer Service? Ha.

I work at the front desk of a health club. That means I greet people who come in to work out, right? Wrong. Turns out I'm an information source for anyone who requires anything.
Yesterday, with people lined up at the front desk for all sorts of things, I got a phone call. "Hi. Can you tell me when the next Canada vs. the U.S. hockey game is?"
"No," I said, "I have no idea." Then I paused because that's terrible customer service, right? "Let me see if I can find out for you, please hold." At which time I proceeded to handle the various other non-health club related issues that were coming up at the front desk.
"I lost my shoes, are they in lost and found?"
Another phone call from a non-member..."How much do you charge for your burritos now?"
"We have to get new membership cards that don't have a barcode? Why?"
"Do you know where the closest pawn shop is?"
I kid you not.
Passive-aggressively, I left said hockey fan on hold for what must have been almost five minutes hoping she would realize that they called a health club and not a sports calendar hotline, and hang up. She didn't.
"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, were you holding for someone?" I got back on the phone and asked.
"I was wondering when the next hockey game was," she said.
"Oh, right, I have no idea. Why don't you check the internet?"
"Well, you played it on your TV set last time."
Exasperated, I put her on hold and asked my co-worker, who was in the middle of collecting smoothie instructions from a customer. "2 scoops vanilla powder - I brought my own - a whole banana, peanut butter, the natural kind only, and almond milk. Then, blend it for exactly a minute and a half and I want it in a cup with a lid, but make sure I get the extra in a separate cup."
She looked at me like the hockey question was nuts and said she had no idea. We gave each other a "look" that said, "Is she out of her mind?"
I got back on the phone, "We at the front desk of the health club have no idea when the next game is. Perhaps you should check the schedule on the internet."
"Well, will you be playing it on your TV?"
"Again ma'am, I have no  idea."
I'm quite sure my manager will be getting a phone call from someone expressing their dissatisfaction with the rudeness of the front desk staff at our health club, and I will be chastised.
Sigh, I thought I'd learn about running a club, turns out I'm back to being the therapist that I was studying to be before I decided not to become a therapist.

No comments: