Monday, September 16, 2013

It's raining, I can't possibly study.

The past week or so I've had a really good excuse not to get moving on studying for my personal training exam. It's raining.
I mean, there are floods everywhere and people suffering - it's a disaster area - how can I possibly study? No, much more important that I watch all the destruction on the news. Glue myself to the TV.
Today I saw a friend I haven't seen in awhile. She asked me if I started school. I explained to her that I'm taking an online certification and that about two months had passed since I got my materials and I really haven't done shit. She asked, "What are you doing with yourself? What keeps you busy all day?"
I left my meeting with her depressed and tired. What the hell DO I do all day? I told her I didn't know what I had been doing, but that I seemed to be busy all day. Now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what it is that I actually keep myself busy with. In the meantime, the weeks are passing and I'm no closer to embarking on my new career.
I went online to read about how to study for the exam. Turns out, I'm a procrastinator. What a surprise. Comforting though, their explanation of a procrastinator presents really noble reasons for procrastination. I'm not lazy or stupid. No. I have deep seated psychological issues.
Procrastinators lie to themselves. They overwhelm themselves into doing nothing by magnifying studying so large that it seems impossible to start. They inaccurately believe that they must study for hours and hours in one sitting instead of breaking it up into manageable parts.
They believe they will feel more like studying “later,” but don’t.
They erroneously believe, “I work best under pressure.” And they ruminate and obsess about all that has to be done — and what they haven’t done — until they are emotionally thwarted from action. They label themselves as “lazy” and thus expect very little from themselves (“labeling”). They inaccurately predict that they will fail and so don’t even try to study (“fear of failure”).
I want everyone to understand this! Of course I want to accomplish stuff, I just can't. The other day I told SSMG that I wasn't lazy or unambitious, I was just mentally ill. He believed me and was very supportive. Now, here's the proof.
So after spending the entire afternoon in front of my computer reading about how to study for the exam and why I procrastinate, I am feeling a huge sense of accomplishment and I can take a break, go for a run and drink a beer.
Laziness? I don't think so.

No comments: