Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wall units and other moving tales



SSMG and I had a little difference of opinion last night on how to handle a situation, and I learned a valuable lesson (maybe) on treating people fairly and with kindness, because SSMG almost always does. Except on the road and when he's watching TV.
SSMG listed his monstrosity of a bedroom set (there's even more than you can see in the photo which leads me to a whole other entry on taste in furniture, but I digress) on Freecycle.com which is a yahoo group that enables people to post stuff to give away. There are all sorts of rules of conduct, one of which being the first come first served rule. Those who email you back first, regardless of their ability to take stuff, must be responded to first before you move down the list. So there's really no way to judge a potential candidate's ability to pick up a five piece, ten ton bedroom set from the bedroom, carry it three floors down and load it into their car before you have to abide by the rules and let them come over to attempt this feat.
I say, fuck the rules. Who's gonna know? You email everyone back and say, whoever can get movers and a truck here first gets the set, right? But SSMG follows the rules.
So last night was pick up night after days of frustration and SSMG compulsively emailing to find out when first responder would be coming to pick up said bedroom set. She showed up to look at the set, a sickly looking lady with a walker and declared, "I think my daughter in law can come with the van." Then I heard something muttered about a station wagon.
Okay, look again at the photo. Any normal person can deduce that a girl and a van ain't gonna get this thing home, right? So at 6:45 when no one arrived and I was fuming with frustration over SSMG's niceness and unwillingness to confront this woman, I said, "Call her and tell her to forget it! She's not gonna be able to get this [piece of shit] out of the house. We'll get someone else to pick it up." For whatever reason, SSMG cared that he had promised it to her and she should have it if she could. I mean, really. I had to keep my mouth shut from then on in because what are you gonna say, right?
So son and daughter in law finally show up with said van as I roll my eyes at SSMG who has to be thinking the same thing as me, no fucking way is any of this gonna fit in the van, as son is calculating how he can do the whole thing in one trip which involves tying one of the pieces to the top of the van.
Suffice it to say that two hours later, we have a van packed with the monstrosity all set to haul the entire thing out in one trip. Son was absolutely brilliant, and he worked a miracle.
This morning, SSMG got an email from sickly lady who spends all her time in bed about how thrilled she is with the wall unit and how thankful everyone is and how much son and daughter in law enjoyed meeting us and blah blah blah they are the happiest damn people in the world.
So SSMG could give me a big I told you so, but I know he's too good for that.




No comments: