Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Welcome Back Cotta

A client came into the clinic and to find her in the computer, I asked her for her last name. "Cotta," she said.
I asked, "C-O?"
She looked at me funny and said, "No, C-A."
"C-A-T-T-A?" I asked.
"No, C-A-R-T-E-R," she replied loudly, annoyed, presumably because I couldn't spell her simple last name.
"Oh, CARTER," I said, enunciating the CAR part really loudly because I can't let these people get away with this. It's disgusting and it hurts my ears.
I deal with this on a daily basis here in central Massachusetts. I'm not a fan of the southern accent, but this one offends me even more. And y'all out there who make fun of "Park the car in Harvard square" have no idea. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
A is O.
There is no R.
O-R is prounced AH as in, you don't put on your shorts, you put on your shots.
And the list goes on.
So today a man came into the clinic. When I asked him his last name he said Cotta. I said, "Oh, Carter," out loud as I searched the computer.
"No," he said. "It's Cotta, C-O-T-T-E-R."
Ha! Go figga.
Addendum: Ithaca reader just commented that I'm funny. Pet Amaretto goes back in first place.

No comments: