Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Up With Unemployment

This morning I sent out an email and consequently got a call from my dear friend Pam who thought I was funny and just wanted to tell me that. Wow. Talk about a great way to start the day. You know, next to "You're so thin!" I can't think of a better compliment than to be told I'm funny.
I wasn't trying to be funny. It just happens naturally, and when I think I'm just being honest, well, I make people laugh. At me.
So said funny email is this. Here in Erie, Colorado Jeff, Jay and I have formed a club that we affectionately refer to as "UP," as in "Up with Unemployment." We're a support group for the unemployed. Originally there were three of us members with one honorary member (SSMG who is very much gainfully employed, but gets off work at 3:00 so he's available for cocktails in the afternoon). I have been sort of employed for the past few months, but I never really identify myself as a working person, so I joined the club and made a point to leave work early on those days when we have meetings. Priorities, you know. Pam is always invited to meetings even though she works very hard, and Alison and Darrin occasionally join us for food when they're hungry and not fixing their house. Both are very much employed. We gather at least once a week mid-week for cocktails and chat about our lives.
It's the "support" part that I'm a little confused about. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be supporting members in their unemployment or helping them to become employed.
Recently one of our full-fledged original members Jay got a job that he started on Monday. When he announced this to the group, I think we all felt a little betrayed. I was honest and told him so, and he accused me of not being supportive. I said I was being supportive - supportive of his unemployment. So my email this morning was to lend him my support in his new job and assure him that we are still here for him, unemployed and waiting for his return.
Which brings me to me. I told Jay that I usually last three months in a job. Three months seems to be the amount of time it takes me to get up to speed, know what I'm doing and become frustrated with the people I work with. Once I've gained this confidence, I can march right in there and give my notice, assuring my boss that I will be there for the transition and that I will pass on all my newfound knowledge to my replacement. I love passing on my newfound knowledge.
What I also told Jay, and what I think made Pam laugh, is that I usually know right away - as I used to with relationships - that it's not right. My first day, I know in my gut that I'm gonna get out. But instead of walking away, I have to give it a shot. I feel insecure because I don't know enough and I want to learn the job and make sure I'm making the right decision. That I'm not running away from something that might be too challenging.
Instead of trusting my gut, I make an educated choice which, in the end, is always the one I would have made in the beginning. This job isn't for me.
So I get hired, panic and live with terrible anxiety for a little while because people are expecting things from me and I'm new and I can't deliver. I devote myself to learning. I do. Then, when I know what I'm doing and can take it over, I realize how unsatisfying and unchallenging the work really is, and I'm ready to move on with confidence. Confidence that I am competent, can do the job, and walk away.
As a result, I've learned quite a bit about a handful of businesses and can now "consult."
Anyway, I'm happily unemployed again except for this pesky "handing over the accounts" thing that I'm involved with now which I have fully devoted myself to. The new person is very happy with me, and I feel well-liked and valuable in my reinstated unemployment status.
Now if that's not supportive, I don't know what is.

No comments: