Thursday, December 24, 2009

It's Good to be a Jew

No one expects anything from me during the holidays, and that's the way I like it. I think it's because I'm Jewish, though I see other Jews participating in Christmas - shopping, that is. I think even if I was Christian, I would ignore the holiday, but since I'm Jewish, I'm completely off the hook. I hate the consumption and the waste. I really do. Other people say they hate it, but they participate in it, so I've gotta believe that they don't hate it that much. I like the lights, those are pretty. I like Christmas trees (in other people's homes), those are pretty. I like the parties, the food and the drink. But the shopping, gift giving and traffic makes me want to not leave the house. Ever. (Oh wait, I never do anyway.)
On other people's birthdays we wish them a happy birthday and we celebrate what they've contributed to our world. Martin Luther King for example. (No controversy around that holiday yet, is there? I don't dare mention Christopher Columbus or George Washington.) How in God's name did Christmas get to where it is today? It's no longer a birthday for Christ, it's a birthday for everyone. And most get better and more gifts on his birthday than they do on their own.
It's a manic, dysfunctional frenzy of guilt, overcompensation, neurosis and family dynamics that, if we all could just sit down for a minute and realize this, maybe we'd cancel Christmas altogether and save our money.
SSMG and will spend it going to a movie and eating chinese food, like good Jews do.

No comments: