Thursday, September 3, 2009

The America Dream is a Big Crock of Shit

Whoever said owning a house was a smart decision? There was supposed to be some benefit? Ten years ago when I was a carefree Coloradoan with a job and plenty of money to rent I thought it would be "smart" to make the financial investment in a condo. Now, ten years later, I'm no longer that carefree, single, working person - no longer a Coloradoan - but I have a 24 hour a day job called home ownership and it's ruining my life.
Okay that's a slight exaggeration, but yesterday I learned more about how the water comes into my apartment and how little my HOA knows about anything than I ever cared to know. Today I will learn more about eliminating cat urine smell from the floors and installing vinyl than I ever cared to know.
Monday I paid a locksmith $50 to turn a couple of screws.
Tuesday I paid a plumber $150 to install a faucet that doesn't work.
Wednesday I made no friends in the building when we had to shut the water off.
And Thursday, I will be getting a home inspection and my life will be in the city's hands.
My lovely tenant who offered to paint thinks that green/gray is "neutral." I have no control over any of this, and my entire trip to Colorado has been spent being a property manager.
So I'm really wondering where the benefit of buying was? If I had rented, I could have been there and enjoyed the place for a couple of years and left it all behind me like I did with every other rental.
My father's best friend the late Manny Haber rented his apartment in Queens until he died at the age of 90. A brilliant man.
Now, with the prospect of fixing up SSMG's house to sell, I'm ready to be done with home ownership, and I'm looking forward to being a renter once again. The American Dream is big crock of shit.
Bubble on.

No comments: