Saturday, August 22, 2009

Who's Grace and why is she in my bubble?

I'm at a yoga conference in the Berkshires at a place called Kripalu. I know, I know, I always hear the voice of my friend Be (that's not "Bee," it's "Buh," short for Beth) in my head after a yoga class years ago saying, "But you HATE yoga!" What she means by that is, you hate yoga so why do you insist on doing something that goes against your natural make up? That was like 10 years ago. I kept trying it and trying it knowing that somehow it had to be good for me, and now I do the everpopular "power" yoga a couple of times a week. Somehow that led me to this retreat where I am immersed in the shit for the weekend. It's not power yoga though which, even though they try to add a spiritual component, is strictly a way to sculpt the body in a different way and burn off tons of calories. This type of yoga has us chanting at the beginning of class and inviting "Grace" into our lives. I don't know who this Grace person is, but I don't like her and I don't want her in my life, thank you very much.
Here's my theory though, if I expose myself to this stuff and PRETEND for a day or so that I'm into it, maybe some of it will rub off on me and help me to see things in a different, more peaceful way. Really why I'm here though is I hope to be able to do a handstand by the end of the day. To get us into position today, the teacher said, "Start by lifting your right leg over your shoulder." I burst out laughing. Luckily joy and laughter is part of the "practice." Why I don't just take gymnastics lessons is beyond me.
So for the time being, Grace, welcome to my bubble.

No comments: