Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Meditation on Tsuris

I was working out at the JCC yesterday with all of my "senior" friends who love to talk about their tsuris. Each story ends with, "Everyone has tsuris, and mine could be much worse. I thank g-d for what I have." It's a Jewish thing. We love to recognize and talk about our tsuris, but we are so thankful that ours isn't as bad as our neighbors.
I went for my "annual" exam yesterday which I do about every five years. I really don't worry about my health and unless something feels wrong, I don't see the need. An unprogressive view of preventive healthcare, I realize. However, it was confirmed for me yet again when the doctor told me that I am the PICTURE of health. Can I say that without bragging? I mean, if I say I'm smart or pretty or thin that's bragging, is it bragging to say I'm extremely healthy? I don't think so. It's not like it's some great accomplishment, it's just dumb luck. I've been wishing for something to be wrong with me my whole life so that I don't have to feel like an underchiever, but alas, I'm so damn healthy I should be doing great things with my life. I have nothing to overcome, no barriers to my success, and still, I'm the most unsuccessful person I know. Ironic, huh? I know, I know. My tsuris is NOTHING compared to others who don't have their health.
I thank g-d every for my luck and my wonderfully healthy life. Maybe someday I'll do something with it.

No comments: