Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Raising Children

I'm a new mom. I've adopted four little infants. It's quite an experience.
On Saturday we had a little mexican fiesta party for my sister in law. When SSMG was unfolding a chair, he uncovered a mouse nest filled with four babies and a mom. The mom went running off before we could catch her. We did the right thing and left the nest of babies out for her to find them, but between the dogs being obsessed with eating the babies, and our human interference in their upbringing, we think she is gone for good. So, for the past four days, I have been feeding baby mice through a syringe four times daily and making them comfortable in a new mouse bed.
I know what you're thinking. I heard it in my friend Wendy's voice when I told her last night that we were on the way to the pet store to buy baby mouse food. I told her I'd call her back. I did, and she didn't pick up the phone.
Gone, crazy, insane, she thought. Perhaps, but these little babies need me, and goddamnit, if I have anything to say about it they're going to live!
So now in addition to obsessing about Sam & Muffin all day, I have these creatures to obsess about. Needless to say, work is suffering. My workouts and my tan are suffering. My life is crumbing to pieces. SSMG and I are fighting about how to best take care of the babies. I slept in the basement last night.
My new, albeit misdirected, maternal instinct has finally emerged.

No comments: