Thursday, February 28, 2008

Self Involved

I don't think anyone reads my blog anymore, do they? Well it's no wonder. I just realized that my blog is all about me! How boring! So today's philosophication deals with animals and communication, after I tell you all that I cut my hair off and it's short and sassy now.
Years ago we believed that autistic people had no feelings or intelligent thoughts and we treated them like animals; that is to say, very poorly. Then we discovered, tragically (I say tragically because of all those years we made no attempt with autistic people to communicate with them - what a waste, and what abuse!) that they do indeed have feelings and thoughts that more often than not are more intelligent than us "normal" folks. Now autistic people can communicate with computers and tell us what they really think but can't express because their bodies won't let them.
So why can't the same apply to the animal kingdom? Why, just because dogs don't have the ability to talk, do we assume that they don't have feelings and thoughts? Much evidence has been discovered recently that animals do, in fact, have logical thoughts and possess the ability to learn, and still, we treat them like slaves. I feel sorry for them.
On the other hand, what if they DON'T have feelings and thoughts? Then I don't know about you, but I've wasted a whole lot of my energy on caring and taking care of animals who I think need me. It's kind of like the belief in God. If there is a God then I'm in deep shit. But on the other hand, what if there isn't a God? How many people have wasted how much energy on him? How many people have devoted their lives to something that doesn't exist? What a waste!
So, back to me. Do I try to devote myself to the animals for the rest of my life? Does it matter? What if, in the end, it doesn't, and I've wasted my life? Do you see my logic here? Really, I shouldn't devote my life to anything because it might not be real. We might all be a figment of our own imaginations, and then, what was it all for anyway?
I think I need a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So where is a pic of the new 'do?
H (the sistah)