Monday, October 22, 2007

Canine and Human Proprioception Issues

I've walked away from my trip to Colorado with several new injuries - none of them serious. I sliced my finger with an apple cutter and bled. I crushed my other finger between two cement blocks and bled. I peeled away the blistered skin on my pinky toe and bled. I bleed on a daily basis.
In total, I am adorned with 5 bandaids, and a gauze-wrapped toe.
Could it be that all this falling and cutting is due to an underdeveloped sense of proprioception? (Proprioception: the ability to sense the position and location and orientation and movement of the body and its parts.) It's not all that unbelievable since there are certainly other parts of my cognitive development that went awry.
I've been told I have body image issues. Perhaps I just don't see myself realistically. I have no understanding of how I fit into the world. So I trip, I twist, I fall, I cut, I bruise and, sometimes, I break.
Well, one thing is for certain, Muffin definitely has proprioception issues. She has no idea that when her face is in her cage, her butt is still hanging outside and it takes us nudging her a bit to get her entire little doggie body inside. Just makes you think. If a dog can have proprioception issues with its body, why can't I?
Go Rockies! (I'm back in Massachusetts. If I was in Colorado, this would read Go Sox!)

No comments: